Our offices are now open to the public and applicants and program participants are welcome to attend any of our locations in person. COVID-19 protocols will be in place. Programs and services remain available through virtual formats as well including by telephone. Please drop by any of our locations or call your nearest Human Services office at the numbers below for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Walkerton Administration Building: 30 Park Street 519-881-0431
Penetangore Hub: 529 Gary Street, Kincardine 519-396-2116
Lakeshore Hub: 1243 MacKenzie Road, Port Elgin 519-389-5580
Peninsula Hub: 268 Berford Street, Wiarton 519-534-1286
Discretionary Benefits are provided to individuals in receipt of benefits under Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP). Funds may be available to those who require financial assistance to purchase various health and non-health related items that are not covered under other programs/benefits. Eligibility is determined based on individual needs and circumstances. The amount and list of eligible items is determined by the local Ontario Works program office. You may need to provide estimates or verifications from health care practitioners or other professionals to confirm costs and that the item(s) are required. You may be eligible for financial assistance with items such as orthotics, CPAP related items, dentures, bath stools, canes, or some household related items.
If you are receiving Ontario Works benefits in Bruce County, please contact your Income Support Caseworker directly to apply for discretionary benefits. For individuals who are receiving ODSP benefits and reside in Bruce County, please call 1-800-265-3005 or 519-881-0431 Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and indicate you are in receipt of ODSP and would like to apply for discretionary benefits.
Burial and Cremation Assistance
In the event that a loved one passes away during the COVID-19 Pandemic, the person who is acting as the Next of Kin for the deceased may be eligible for financial assistance for the cost of a direct burial or direct cremation if the estate has insufficient assets.
To determine eligibility, the Next of Kin will need to provide the following information for the deceased individual:
- Bank account information;
- Income source(s);
- Asset/investment information;
- Social Insurance Number (SIN); and
- A copy of their Birth Certificate.
The Next of Kin will not be eligible if the deceased:
- Has a life insurance policy (regardless of the beneficiary);
- Owns their own home/property;
- Has an RRSP or other Investments; or
- Has sufficient funds in their bank account.
Normal Business Hours (Monday-Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm):
- Please call 1-800-265-3005 or 519-881-0431
- Ask to speak with the Human Services department.
Outside of Normal Business Hours (during COVID-19):
- You (or a service provider on your behalf) can contact the Bruce County after-hours answering service at 519-396-3439 or 1-800-265-3022;
- With your consent, your service provider can let Bruce County know that you, as Next of Kin, are seeking financial assistance for a direct burial or direct cremation. Your full name and contact number will need to be provided so that Human Services staff can follow up in a timely manner.
Income Support Supervisor
Department: Human Services
Tel : 519-881-0431