Highways Permits and Bylaws

The Bruce County Highways Department oversees permits and permissions for the following categories of requests associated with roads and bridges under their jurisdiction: Over Dimensional Loads, Entrances, Encroachments, Sign Installation, Temporary Road Closures

Highways Permits and Bylaws

Over Dimensional Load Permits
An over dimensional load permit is required from the Bruce County Highways Department when vehicles and loads traveling on roads under the jurisdiction of the Highways Department exceed the dimensions and/or weight limits as outlined in the Highway Traffic Act .  Each permit has specific conditions that must be adhered to.  Included below are links to the permit information literature and application forms.  Please allow 5 business days for the permit to be issued by the Highways Department.  Should you have any questions regarding the over dimensional load permit process, please contact our office.

M1 (2.76m to 3.75m wide and/or greater than 63,500 kg's) Oversized Load Permit

M2 (greater than 3.75m wide) Oversized Load Permit

Entrance Permits
Contact the office for an entrance permit.

Encroachment Permits
Contact the office for an encroachment permit.

Sign Installation
Review By-Law 3809 and provide a written request to hwysinfo@brucecounty.on.ca.  Contact the office for further information.

Temporary Road Closure Requests
Please review By-Law 2013-024.  Obtain an application from the local municipality to be completed by the requester and the local municipality.  Upon approval by the local municipality, the form will be forwarded to the County Engineer for County Approval.

Contact us
Location:  Walkerton Administration Centre Tel:  519-881-2400


This is where to start exploring the options. Our hope is that you discover a compassionate and sharing community like no other.

Departmental Information

Meet your local government Bruce County Council
Discover land use planning here Land Use Planning