To support local businesses in making COVID-19 related modifications, the 2020 Spruce the Bruce grants have been amended for 2020. The County will now fund 100% of Perpendicular Signage & Awnings projects up to $1000 to support business adaptations due to COVID-19.
Install a perpendicular sign or awning
Bring greater awareness to your business with a perpendicular sign or support curbside pick up by covering the façade with an awning.
Projects may include:
- Purchase and installation of perpendicular signs as well as awnings within the downtown cores.
Perpendicular signs are signs that attached to the front of the building and are mounted so that the face of the sign is perpendicular to the normal flow of traffic.
Funds 100% of these projects, up to $1,000*
Taxes are the full responsibility of the applicants. Our perpendicular sign and awning grants are subject to funding availability and issued upon completion of the proposed work.
*Please note: Projects are funded on a first-come, first-serve basis until all of the $250,000 funding has been given to local businesses. Business owners may be placed on a waitlist if the maximum amount for their community has been allocated.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must be a storefront business or property owner within a Community Improvement Plan (CIP) designated area with downtown commercial zoning in one of the following communities:
Allenford, Chesley, Hepworth, Kincardine, Lion’s Head, Lucknow, Mildmay, Paisley, Point Clark, Port Elgin, Ripley, Sauble Beach, Southampton, Tara, Teeswater, Tobermory, Walkerton and Wiarton.
Guidelines: Perpendicular Signage & Awnings Grant
- Only applications that are submitted prior to purchase, fabrication and/or installation of the sign or awning will be considered.
- Only grant applications that comply with municipal by-laws will be considered.
- Improvements requiring a variance will not be considered unless unique circumstances (not caused or created by the applicant) exist.
- Improvements must not interfere with sidewalk maintenance and pedestrian safety; which include the proper height and allowable encroachment onto the sidewalk.